Rowdy And Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open discussion for Rowdy & Friends

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kyles Calming Voice

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kyle18Busch
Admin
Kyle18Busch

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2008-04-23

Kyles Calming Voice Empty
PostSubject: Kyles Calming Voice   Kyles Calming Voice I_icon_minitimeSun 25 May 2008, 9:44 am

Addington a friendly face, fatherly influence for Busch

Crew chief has been steady in No. 18 team's success

When veteran crew chief Steve Addington learned Kyle Busch was coming to the No. 18 car, and it would be his job to steer the young driver's career at Joe Gibbs Racing, he was overwhelmed.
Not overwhelmed with trepidation like others may have experienced upon learning they would have to somehow guide and / or corral the energy and tenacity of the 23-year-old self-described wild thing. Not Addington. He was overwhelmed with excitement -- he couldn't wait to get Busch, known for his candor and aggressive, on-the-edge driving style, in the car and get back to the business of winning.
"I've watched him and saw what he could do in a racecar so I was real anxious to get it started. We knew we would have a shot to win races," said Addington at Lowe's Motor Speedway as he prepared the team for Sunday's 600-mile Sprint Cup race.
See, Addington is accustomed to rambunctious attitudes and young 20-somethings who seemingly know it all.
He has a 21-year-old son, Cole Addington, whom the crew chief is also guiding through life's challenges and new ventures. A lot of the same tools translate.
So despite what the young Busch may spew over the radio about his ill-handling racecar, Addington understands. He's heard it all before.
"When Kyle gets excited about something or gripes about the racecar, it doesn't bother me at all, you know what I mean," he said. "It's just like dealing with a kid that won't do anything you ask out of him. When you're a parent, I tell my son to go learn for himself, and he does. When Kyle gets excited, I don't take it personal; he's just trying to give me great information. He knows when he gets out of that car I'm going to give him 110 percent and fix that car to what he needs to win a race."
It's all a part of the maturation process, and Addington said his driver, through a working chemistry, is maturing at a high rate of speed much like the Toyota he drove to a pole position on Thursday.
What Addington and Busch share as individuals can't be bought, bottled or built. Team members have commented that they have a special drive inside to win. But as separate people away from the track, they are night and day.

Busch enjoys his life in the fast lane; he grew up in Las Vegas. Addington, a father of two who are close to Busch's age, enjoys his quiet time. His philosophy: Less is more.
"I've never been a flamboyant person. I'm low-keyed and here to do my job and I love coming to the racetrack," said the 44-year-old Spartanburg, S.C., native.
His persona -- thick-skinned, seasoned and calm -- mixed with Busch's style has translated to a winning combination. Together, Addington and Busch level one another out.
The chemistry between a crew chief and driver is instrumental for finding success on the track. Some say it is a process that takes time, while others may not find it at all.

With three Cup victories, one pole and seven top-five finishes so far this season, Busch and Addington are bubbling over with chemistry as the two have become fast friends.
"I think we both are just really passionate about racing," Addington said. "He understands that I love doing this and I'm here to win races, and he's the same way. It's close to tunnel vision, that's why we hit it off so well."
Busch never realized the bond he has forged with Addington would come so quickly.
"You never know how quick you're going to click with a crew chief or anything like that," Busch said. "I value Steve's leadership and the success rate that he's had with everything and the way that he goes about setting up his team. It's definitely been pretty cool. To have him this year has been good."
In his fourth season as a Cup crew chief at Joe Gibbs Racing, preceding more than a decade of success in the Nationwide Series with Jason Keller, Addington is only the fourth crew chief in the 15-year history of the No. 18 team.
He joined JGR in 2004 as head man of the No. 18 car -- a car in which JGR was founded upon in 1992 and was in the midst of a nearly four-year winless streak before Busch took the wheel after leaving Hendrick Motorsports.
Busch said the new partnership with his veteran crew chief has given Addington something to smile about again.

"The biggest thing is he spent 10 years or 15 years or something like that in the Nationwide Series," he said. "Then moved up to the Cup Series and sort of struggled here and never knew whether he made it or not. This year, having the equipment that we have and the success rate that we've had, I feel that his comfort level has been a lot better and his confidence is back up. And the team is as well ... in themselves and in Addington's abilities. For us, we just keep digging and keep trying to put good racecars out there and run well."
It's what they do best, Addington and Busch, and away from the track they are good at the grill.
In a sport where family and personal time is at a premium, Addington and Busch still find time to bond outside the track.
"I had everybody over to the house [Friday] night to cook out in Huntersville and Kyle was the first one there," Addington said. "We watched the Outlaw race and had a good time. He's fitting in really well with every guy on this race team."
Back to top Go down
https://nascarfriends.forumotion.com
Rowdy18

Rowdy18

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-04-30

Kyles Calming Voice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kyles Calming Voice   Kyles Calming Voice I_icon_minitimeSun 25 May 2008, 11:30 am

Read that article this morning. They are a great combo. Hopefully, they can keep it up
Back to top Go down

Kyles Calming Voice
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rowdy And Friends :: Articles :: Articles To Share-
Jump to: